Connect with us

Sports Radio News

Bell Creates Twitter Stir By Insulting Mendoza

Published

on

Jessica Mendoza became the first woman to work as an analyst during an MLB postseason game on Tuesday night, as part of ESPN’s broadcast booth for the Houston Astros and New York Yankees in the AL wild-card game.

She was spot-on too, delivering the type of analysis that has led to a larger role at ESPN this MLB season. She earned a spot calling a Monday Night Baseball game in August, then was promoted to the network’s top baseball event, Sunday Night Baseball, when Curt Schilling was suspended in September.

Mendoza, 34, is an Olympic gold medalist in softball and considered one of the best players ever in the game. Softball and baseball aren’t exactly the same thing, but Mendoza illustrated an ability to speak just as keenly about baseball during her tenure at ESPN.

Some fans were surprised to hear a woman on their TV Tuesday night, particularly if they hadn’t been following the ESPN Sunday Night Baseball telecasts the last month of the season. But she’d been there, calling games, imparting knowledge and earning good reviews from baseball people. Certain fans don’t like her — and won’t like her — but then again some people are never going to say anything nice about a woman doing what is most frequently regarded as a man’s job. It’s 2015, but we haven’t fully broken that barrier yet.

Twitter rants by your average dude who has a problem with women aren’t news, honestly. The Internet is filled with such people and such opinions. But you’d think Mike Bell, a sports radio jock in Atlanta, would know better. After all, he has a radio show on 92.9 The Game. He knows how broadcasting works. And he knows there are some things you say when the mic is on and some things you don’t. Right?

Bell sent out the following tweet during Tuesday’s game, which he later deleted when the response wasn’t a bunch of hooting and hollering and testosterone like he expected. But it was preserved by Boiled Sports.

bell

Like we said, Bell apologized, which is to be commended. But it you look at more of his tweets, you’ll see that he apologized partially because he, “had no idea it would blow up.”

To read the rest of the story visit Yahoo Sports where it was originally published

Sports Radio News

Pat McAfee: Sean McVay Isn’t Ready For A Broadcasting Career

“I think the reason why the narrative was able to build so much was because we saw Tony Romo make $17 million. We saw Troy Aikman make $17.5 million.”

Published

on

Sean McVay was among those rumored to be potentially on the move to the broadcast booth this offseason, but ultimately the head coach of the Super Bowl champion Los Angeles Rams decided to stay put. He was reportedly offered a mega-contract from Amazon to join the Thursday Night Football crew.

It appears McVay has a future in TV, but he’s made it clear he wants to remain a coach for the time being.

Pat McAfee on Monday told co-host A.J. Hawk that thinking about a future that doesn’t involve coaching in the NFL isn’t how McVay is wired.

“That’s how football people are. That’s literally how coaches are,” McAfee said. “It is just, we are either preparing for football season or we’re in football season. And when we’re not in football season, they’re wishing they were in football season so they’re acting like they’re in football season by watching more film, being more dialed in.”

McAfee also said the recent shuffling of broadcast crews, and the paydays associated with those moves, is what really turned up the heat on McVay speculation.

“I think the reason why the narrative was able to build so much was because we saw Tony Romo make $17 million. We saw Troy Aikman make $17.5 million.”

Pat also made it very clear that whenever McVay decides to make it to the booth, he’s likely going to be a star.

“I do believe a lot of us think to ourselves, I can’t wait for that guy to get in f–king TV though,” he said. “He’s going to be amazing on the microphone I think, A.J.”

Continue Reading

Sports Radio News

T-Bob Hebert and Jacob Hester: Drew Brees Chatter Began With His Tweet About Saints

“They’ve had to know a life without Drew as the quarterback. They’ve had to have leaders step up that weren’t Drew Brees certainly on the offensive side of the football.”

Published

on

There have been rumors about what’s next for former New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees, but nothing has been set in stone. He took to Twitter over the weekend to dispute a report that he is out at NBC and make it clear he’s still weighing his options.

Brees feeling like he still has a fire to play in the NFL got the attention of T-Bob Hebert and Jacob Hester on 104.5 ESPN in Baton Rouge. Hebert on Monday said Brees expressing interest in coming back throws a wrench in all the planning the Saints have done to hand over the reins to Jameis Winston.

“It almost feels unreal where it’s this deal where it’s like, OK you had finally moved on, you made peace with it, it was all good, it is what it is, you’re ready to roll with your new guy,” he said. “And right when you think you’ve finally moved on, that text comes in and cracks open that door. But you’re happy, right? But can you say no to him?”

Hester noted that it was a Tweet from Brees expressing the desire to return to New Orleans that began the conversations and speculation about his future in broadcasting. However, he thinks it may be too late for Drew Brees to walk back into the Superdome and be greeted with open arms.

“If this was last year, and he had just retired and maybe had the itch to come back, maybe he could have that feeling. But he also has to understand that the team has had to move on,” he said. “They’ve had to know a life without Drew as the quarterback. They’ve had to have leaders step up that weren’t Drew Brees certainly on the offensive side of the football.”

Continue Reading

Sports Radio News

Jeff Rickard Named Program Director of WFNZ in Charlotte

“After our first conversation I knew Jeff was the one to take us to the next level.”

Published

on

Jeff Rickard is headed to Charlotte. The sports radio veteran has been named the new program director of WFNZ, one of the Southeast’s premier sports radio brands.

Rickard replaces Terry Foxx who announced in February that he was leaving Charlotte to take over KUT in Austin. 

“We are committed to making sports radio even bigger in Charlotte, adding the 92.7 FM signal in March was just the beginning of that commitment,” Marsha Landess, Regional Vice President of Radio One, said in a press release. “Having a successful veteran like Jeff Rickard join our team will help take us to the level that a passionate sports city like Charlotte deserves. Jeff brings to WFNZ extensive sports experience, talent, drive, and a passion for success. He will be a great complement to our incredibly talented local Charlotte on-air team. After our first conversation I knew he was the one to take us to the next level. As the flagship station for the Charlotte Hornets as well as Charlotte FC we are looking forward to an incredibly successful future with Jeff leading the charge.”

Rickard’s resume in sports radio speaks for itself. He was most recently the brand manager at WEEI in Boston, a role he exited in January. Prior to that, he spent six years at 107.5 The Fan in Indianapolis serving as both a weekday host and the station’s program director. He has also worked nationally for ESPN Radio, FOX Sports Radio, and SiriusXM, and spent time during the early part of his career working in Denver and Salt Lake City.

“I had been planning on taking a professional sabbatical this year but after meeting with Marsha Landess and learning more about Radio One, I began to get more excited to get back to work,” shared Rickard. “Radio One as a company, combined with Marsha’s leadership and the potential for WFNZ, was just too appealing to not be a part of. I am extremely grateful to Radio One for this opportunity and can’t wait to start working with the talented staff in Charlotte. My family and I are all in on this situation and can’t wait to get started on this new chapter.”

Not one to waste time diving in, Rickard officially stepped into the Charlotte offices today to meet his new staff.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2021 Barrett Media.