Season 2 begins with an explanation of why the podcast went on hiatus for two months. Jason then introduces a new feature called The 5 in 5 which covers 5 topics in 5 minutes. Stories discussed include Mike and the Mad Dog’s 30 for 30, Mike Francesa’s claim that Michael Kay’s ratings win was a fabrication, the slow death of written content, Clay Travis’ choice to reject FS1 and stay true to his principles, and ESPN’s decision to air the O.J. Simpson parole hearing.
The first guest for Season 2 is Josh Innes. He can be heard weekday mornings on SportsTalk 790 in Houston and middays on Sports 1280 in New Orleans. This conversation runs 56 minutes and tackles the trials and tribulations of Josh’s career and covers a number of different subjects related to the sports media industry.
TOPICS DISCUSSED WITH JOSH INNES
- How growing up with a father in radio influenced his desire to pursue the business
- When he started collecting a check and what his initial responsibilities were
- Gaining national attention as a fill-in for Jim Rome and how it developed
- Moving into afternoons at 610 with Rich Lord and the challenges it produced
- The first 90-days in Philadelphia at WIP and having a target on his back
- Dealing with Tony Bruno’s exit and the rumors that circulated from it
- Why he believes he was a magnet for media attention in Philadelphia
- What he learned from the situation when Andy Bloom was let go as PD
- Becoming clickbait for Houston newspapers and handling negative press
- Studying successful radio personalities and why he believes in doing it
- Battling social justice warriors and how he sees sports radio evolving
- The way social media can damage your show and your career
- Quick Hits – Best host, PD advice, Dream market, Wisdom for young people
FROM THE GUEST
Josh’s Twitter handle: @JoshInnesShow
Jason Barrett is the owner and operator of Barrett Sports Media. Prior to launching BSM he served as a sports radio programmer, launching brands such as 95.7 The Game in San Francisco and 101 ESPN in St. Louis. He has also produced national shows for ESPN Radio including GameNight and the Dan Patrick Show. You can find him on Twitter @SportsRadioPD or reach him by email at JBarrett@sportsradiopd.com.
Media Noise: ESPN Shake Up Adds Local Flavor to New York Sports Radio
Demetri is joined by Derek Futterman and Garrett Searight this week as Media Noise does a deep dive into ESPN Radio’s lineup change, taking both a national and New York-centric view.
Demetri Ravanos is the Assistant Content Director for Barrett Sports Media. He hosts the Chewing Clock and Media Noise podcasts. He occasionally fills in on stations across the Carolinas. Previous stops include WAVH and WZEW in Mobile, AL, WBPT in Birmingham, AL and WBBB, WPTK and WDNC in Raleigh, NC. You can find him on Twitter @DemetriRavanos and reach him by email at DemetriTheGreek@gmail.com.
Sports Talkers Podcast: Tim Brando, FOX Sports
Tim Brando is a signature voice of college sports in America. In this episode, he talks to Stephen Strom about changing networks, his family, and why Spencer Tillman is so important to him.
Stephen Strom can be heard hosting ‘The Sports Talkers Podcast’ for Barrett Sports Media. In addition to hosting here, Stephen works as a broadcasting assistant for the Miami Heat and color analyst for Nova Southeastern. Additional career experiences include working for SiriusXM, performing analyst duties for Princeton basketball, and hosting shows for TalkNorth.com. You can find him on Twitter @SStrom_.
Producers Podcast: Anthony Pagnotta, WFNZ
WFNZ listeners better know Anthony Pagnotta as Flounder. He explains how he got the name and why it is good to be the butt of the jokes sometimes.
Brady Farkas is a sports radio professional with 5+ years of experience as a Program Director, On-Air Personality, Assistant Program Director and Producer in Burlington, VT and Albany, NY. He’s well versed in content creation, developing ideas to generate ratings and revenue, working in a team environment, and improving and growing digital content thru the use of social media, audio/video, and station websites. His primary goal is to host a daily sports talk program for a company/station that is dedicated to serving sports fans. You can find him on Twitter @WDEVRadioBrady and reach him by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.