Hall of Fame receiver Cris Carter is done at FS1. The network issued a statement on Thursday confirming that Carter will not be returning to the network’s morning show First Things First.
Carter has not been on any FOX shows since October 30. At the time, The Big Lead reported that Carter had been suspended, but did not have details to offer.
Earlier this week Michael McCarthy of Front Office Sports reported that Carter was upset that FOX was not using him as part of its Thursday Night Football studio team. The pregame and halftime shows originate out of the same Manhattan studio where Carter and Nick Wright host First Things First.
Rather than using Carter, FOX had been paying to fly Tony Gonzalez in every week. He lives in Los Angeles full time. Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk speculates that the final straw for Carter came last week when Tony Bradshaw was absent. Instead of turning to Carter, FOX brought Reggie Bush in from its Big Noon Kickoff college football show.
Carter may very well have been upset about not being used more, but according to Andrew Marchand of The New York Post, it is not the reason FS1 has chosen to move on. “Sources said the matter at hand is more serious,” Marchand writes. He notes that Carter was not available for comment and FOX Sports has said they have nothing further to offer at this time.
Carter came to FOX in December 2016 after successful stints with ESPN and HBO’s Inside the NFL. Former Giants lineman and ESPN New York host Chris Canty has been filling in on First Things First in Carter’s absence.
Netflix CEO: ‘We’re Not Anti-Sports, We’re Just Pro-Profit’
“He characterized expensive media rights as a “loss leader” in the streaming world and noted that Netflix doesn’t view sports as a necessity to grow.”
Netflix will not join Apple and Amazon in the rush to gobble up live sports rights. Co-CEO Ted Sarandos addressed the streaming giant’s disinterest at the UBS Global Technology, Media & Telecom Conference on Wednesday.
He characterized expensive media rights as a “loss leader” in the streaming world and noted that Netflix doesn’t view sports as a necessity to grow.
“We’re not anti-sports,” Sarandos said according to Deadline. “We’re just pro-profit. We have yet to figure out how to do it. But I’m very confident we can get twice as big as we are without sports.”
Questions about the interest the company has in carrying live sports have come up several times in the past. Sarandon made similar comments last year when asked about it.
Reed Hastings, Sarandos’s co-CEO at Netflix, has a slightly different view. In 2021, he indicated that Netflix could be interested in F1 rights someday thanks to the success of its documentary series Drive to Survive, but that would be a special case. Any league interested in doing business with Netflix, he said, would have to allow Netflix to control all of its content.
Ted Sarandos echoed that sentiment in his most recent comments. He said that the company does not see a way to profit by “renting big-league sports.”
FOX Sued for Patent Infringement Over NFL Scheduling
“Recentive Analytics filed suit against FOX in a Delaware federal court on November 29 according to Yahoo Sports.”
An analytics company is suing FOX over claims that the network developed a mapping tool using their patented technology to create a season slate of NFL games.
Recentive Analytics filed suit against FOX in a Delaware federal court on November 29 according to Yahoo Sports.
The lawsuit claims FOX used access to Recentive’s predictive analytics tools to develop a resource of their own that would create optimal schedules for its 1 and 4 p.m. NFLwindows.
The company is seeking a declaration that FOX infringed on two of its patents. Recentive is also suing for damages and wants an injunction keeping FOX from using Recentive tech and preventing the network from “selling, offering for sale, marketing or using any internal network and mapping analytics tool for the scheduling and regionalization of events covered by the patents.”
Jordan Bondurant is a features reporter for Barrett Sports Media. He works full-time as a multimedia specialist at the Virginia State Corporation Commission, while also putting in part-time work for News Radio WRVA and 910 The Fan in Richmond. Additionally, you can find Jordan contributing coverage of the Washington Capitals for the blog NoVa Caps. His prior media experiences include working for the Richmond Times-Dispatch, the Danville Register & Bee, Virginia Lawyers Weekly and ABC 8News. He can be reached by email at email@example.com or follow him on Twitter @J__Bondurant.
FOX Will Use Chris Fallica On Belmont Stakes Coverage
“While the Preakness and the Kentucky Derby remain at NBC, The Belmont Stakes is moving to FOX as part of the network’s deal with the New York Racing Association.”
The Bear will be more than just a college football presence when he moves to FOX. Chris Fallica wrapped his final duties for ESPN last week and is now headed to a new network and will tackle some new responsibilities.
Fallica’s new role at FOX will involve plenty of sports gambling content. Richard Deitsch of The Athletic reports that content will include horse racing.
“One Fox Sports source said look for him to appear on the Belmont Stakes coverage,” Deitsch wrote in his weekly media column.
Starting in 2023, horse racing’s Triple Crown will not be seen all in one place. While the Preakness and the Kentucky Derby remain at NBC, The Belmont Stakes is moving to FOX as part of the network’s deal with the New York Racing Association.
How the network intends to use Chris Fallica on the broadcast is not clear. Given that he is coming to the network to contribute to gambling conversations, it is likely he would either be making picks or at least reviewing odds right up to the start of the race.