Connect with us

Sports TV News

Keith Olbermann Leaves ESPN To Focus On Election

“Olbermann’s new political series for YouTube will begin Oct. 7, with episodes expected to be available daily at 5pm ET.”

Brandon Contes

Published

on

For the third time in his lustrous media career, Keith Olbermann announced his departure from ESPN, albeit on good terms. Olbermann revealed the news on social media Wednesday evening, informing his followers of plans to launch a political show on YouTube. 

Olbermann is essentially leaving ESPN because he doesn’t want to stick to sports and will instead create a political show. Although ESPN has recently taken a more tolerant approach with its ‘stick to sports’ policy, Olbermann expressed support for the previously implemented directive. 

“I have adhered to [ESPN’s] desire for their sportscasters to refrain from purely political commentary (an approach with which I largely agree), and they have now agreed with my desire to go and serve my country by focusing my energy on political commentary,” Olbermann tweeted Tuesday.

That political commentary will come in the form of a YouTube show with an imminent focus on the election called The Worst Person in the World. Although we can make assumptions about who Olbermann is referring to in The Worst Person in the World, the title share’s its name with a segment on Olbermann’s former MSNBC show Countdown which stopped production nearly a decade ago. 

“You didn’t think I was going to sit out this election did you?” Olbermann asked before giving a laugh at the end of a video he posted on social media. 

The appetite for political commentary is high right now, but that will likely drop after the election takes place next month, assuming a presidential candidate concedes defeat on the night of Nov. 3. It will be interesting to see how long Olbermann’s desire to reenter the political tumult extends beyond the 2020 presidential election. 

The iconic SportsCenter anchor has gone back and forth between sports and politics throughout his career, having worked for ESPN, MSNBC, Current TV, FOX Sports, GQ and now YouTube. His most recent tenure with ESPN restarted in Jan. 2018, beginning with intermittent appearances, but increasing throughout the ensuing months. 

Olbermann’s new political series for YouTube will begin Oct. 7, with episodes expected to be available daily at 5pm ET. 

Sports TV News

Matthew Berry: ‘Entrepreneurial Spirit’ Led to ESPN Exit

“I have an entrepreneurial spirit…I wanted to continue my Fantasy Life stuff. I wanted to be able to keep doing that and building those businesses,” said Berry.

Ricky Keeler

Published

on

Matthew Berry

It’s been over a week since renowned fantasy football expert Matthew Berry joined NBC Sports after announcing his intention to leave ESPN after 15 years. It made many to wonder why Berry would switch networks.

Berry was on the Brother from Another show with Michael Smith this week. Smith and Berry will do two fantasy shows in the upcoming weeks. On Wednesday, August 17 at 8 PM ET on Peacock, they will host the RotoWorld Draft Guide Show. During the football season, the duo will host the Fantasy Football Tailgate show from 11 AM-1 PM on Peacock before the day’s NFL action begins.

Before the two of them broke down fantasy football, Berry told Smith that he wasn’t necessarily looking to leave the Worldwide Leader and the money wasn’t exactly that much different.

“I wasn’t looking to leave ESPN. I have nothing bad to say about the place. The reason anyone gives a blank about me is because of those four letters and I’m proud of everything we accomplished there.”

“What I would tell you is that there were two things that were super important to me. Obviously, you want to be paid as much as you can get. We all want to make as much money as possible. It was very comparable in terms of what ESPN offered me to stay. ESPN offered me a 3-year extension, very nice raise. NBC also made a very generous offer, so the money was basically equal.”

With money not being the sole reason for the switch, Berry wanted to keep the Fantasy Life app and FantasyLife.com going, which was something he would not be able to do if he was still at ESPN.

“I have an entrepreneurial spirit…I wanted to continue my Fantasy Life stuff. I wanted to be able to keep doing that and building those businesses,” said Berry.

The other main reason for Berry going to NBC is that he wanted to be a part of the NFL coverage, an opportunity he was told he would have by being on Football Night in America Sunday nights during the season.

“I wanted to be a part of NFL coverage. I’ve always tried to push the ball forward in terms of fantasy analysis. I believe that when you are talking fantasy, you are talking NFL. All it is is you are just talking ball…At ESPN because ESPN is owned by Disney, the entrepreneurial stuff wasn’t going to be allowed and I just wasn’t going to be a part of NFL coverage there. That’s how they’ve set their company up and let’s be clear, they have done really, really well over the years. It’s important for me to be a part of NFL coverage to have fantasy truly be aligned.” 

Continue Reading

Sports TV News

Jenna Wolfe Departs ‘First Things First’

“I’m heading off to some other things,” Wolfe said during her announcement. “I have had an absolute blast here, minus not always knowing what day it was.

Published

on

First Things First host Jenna Wolfe announced her departure at the end of this morning’s show. Wolfe has co-hosted the show with Nick Wright and Kevin Wildes since 2017.

“I’m heading off to some other things,” Wolfe said during her announcement. “I have had an absolute blast here, minus not always knowing what day it was.

“What’s important is I will be watching you guys (Wright and Wildes) and I will be rooting for you guys. And for you at home, thank you so much for waking up with us every day. It meant the world to me. I will miss you. I will mis this.”

Wolfe, 48, ended her goodbye by saying “It’s Jordan. It was always Jordan,” in regards to the show’s frequent conversation about whether Michael Jordan or LeBron James is the greatest basketball player of all time.

The former TODAY Show host did not mention what future projects may be in store.

Continue Reading

Sports TV News

CBS Will Work Around New Big Ten, Outgoing SEC Contracts

Dellenger reports the Big Ten’s deal will allow CBS to air their final season of the SEC during the first year of the contract, but said details weren’t provided.

Published

on

In a wide-ranging story Thursday, Sports Illustrated‘s Ross Dellenger revealed a college football media nugget that many had questioned.

CBS, who is expected to announce an upcoming deal with the Big Ten, is reportedly “double booked” for their 3:30 ET games in 2023.

The SEC’s deal with CBS, which ends after the 2023 season, is an exclusive game aired at 3:30 ET. The Big Ten’s deal with CBS, which begins for the 2023 season, is an exclusive game aired at 3:30 ET. Dellenger reports the Big Ten’s deal will allow CBS to air their final season of the SEC during the first year of the contract, but said details weren’t provided.

The situation isn’t ideal for the Big Ten or it’s new media partners CBS, NBC, or Fox. NBC is alleged to have secured a primetime Big Ten game, so any workaround involving CBS would likely see the Big Ten featuring two games on network TV simultaneously, with either an additional game at Noon ET competing with Fox’s Big Noon Kickoff or in primetime competing against NBC’s newly acquired rights.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Barrett Media Writers

Copyright © 2021 Barrett Media.