Connect with us

Sports Radio News

Dan Bernstein Goes Off On Jerry Reinsdorf For Tony La Russa Hire

Published

on

On Tuesday, Jay Mariotti wrote in his Barrett Sports Media column that the Chicago sports media doesn’t “want to incur” Jerry Reinsdorf’s wrath and will not hang any blame for the White Sox hiring Tony La Russa as their new manager, even knowing that La Russa was facing another DUI charge.

Apparently Dan Bernstein didn’t get the memo that he needs to fear Reinsdorf. The 670 the Score host went off on the team owner and his meddling in the team’s search for a new manager.

“Let’s name names. It’s Jerry Reinsdorf,” Bernstein said. “It isn’t the White Sox. This has nothing to do with Rick Hahn. This has nothing to do with Kenny Williams.”

Bernstein said Rick Hahn looked like he had been taken hostage at the press conference last week to introduce La Russa as the White Sox new manager. He said that the reason is clear. He knew this was a bad hire, it was a PR nightmare, and he knew he was powerless to stop it.

“They knew! And they knew it was inevitable [La Russa’s DUI charge] would become public. And they knew it didn’t matter!”

Bernstein also criticized Reinsdorf’s and La Russa’s attempts to remain silent. The White Sox have issued a statement saying no one with the team can comment on an ongoing investigation. Bernstein isn’t having it.

“That’s BS to say ‘I can’t comment on an active investigation’. That’s like hiding behind ‘I can’t release my taxes because I am under audit’”, Bernstein said. “They’re just hiding behind that. That’s absolutely not true. And if Tony La Russa is going to hide behind ‘I’ve got nothing to say,’ well, you better figure out what to say, because we’re not gonna stop asking.”

How this will be resolved remains to be seen, but it is clear that Dan Bernstein isn’t willing to give Jerry Reinsdorf or the team much of the benefit of the doubt here. And it is hard to imagine he is alone in the Chicago sports media. As Bernstein put it, Reinsdorf seems to think he gets to decide what is and isn’t a problem for fans.

“The point is it doesn’t matter to him. He doesn’t care that this happened. He doesn’t care. He knew it happened. He knew it could become public. He doesn’t care that it happened.”

Sports Radio News

Toucher and Rich: Dennis Eckersley’s Retirement a “Huge Loss”

“When Eckersley got in there (the booth),” Shertenlieb started, “he was great. It made all of them better when Dennis Eckersley was around. It’s going to be a huge loss.”

Published

on

Dennis Eckersley

On Monday, Dennis Eckersley announced that he was going to retire from the Boston Red Sox television booth at the end of this season. The current NESN analyst is leaving after twenty years on the air with the team.

The news broke during Toucher and Rich on 98.5 the Sports Hub and it gave show co-host Rich Shertenlieb a chance to mention the news and praise the departing personality.

“When Eckersley got in there (the booth),” Shertenlieb started, “he was great. It made all of them better when Dennis Eckersley was around. It’s going to be a huge loss.”

The show spent the rest of the segment talking about what Eckersley offered that made him so unique. That’s when Matt McCarthy, fill-in for Fred Toucher, said that Eckersley was exactly what you wanted in an analyst.

“You want someone that’s going to give you an opinion,” McCarthy said. “Eck gave you an opinion. He’ll be missed.”

McCarthy also pointed out that this is the latest major shakeup that has happened to the television broadcast in recent years.

“There’s no doubt this is a blow,” McCarthy added. “This is a tremendous loss to that Red Sox broadcast to which has taken a lot of hits over the years with the loss of Jerry Remy, the decision to move on from Don Orsillo and now Dennis Eckersley retiring… they are going to have to find an entertainer in there. Matt McCarthy

Continue Reading

Sports Radio News

The Musers Mock Jim Nantz’s Farewell To Nick Faldo

“I’m telling you, Jim, he made it worse with his funeral director voice,” said co-host George Dunham.

Published

on

Nick Faldo

On Sunday, CBS Golf analyst Nick Faldo called his final tournament with CBS after sixteen years with the network. He was poised in the tower above the 18th green with Jim Nantz as he said his final goodbyes. It was an emotional moment that The Musers on The Ticket in Dallas had to comment on.

In the message, Faldo clearly has an issue getting thru the moment while Nantz tries to comfort his friend and buy him some time to regain his composure. However, The Musers thought it wasn’t helpful at all.

“I’m telling you, Jim, he made it worse with his funeral director voice,” said co-host George Dunham. “It sounded like he was going to say, ‘now, it’s time to send you to your happy place’. When he said that and when Nick said, in tears, ‘I’m ready,’ that made it sound like Jim was putting him to sleep.”

“(Australian accent) Go ahead and smother me, Jim,” Gordon Keith quipped, “go ahead and take that pillow over there and choke me out right now.”

“Nick are you ready for us to unplug the life support machine?” asked Dunham.

“Yeah, kick that thing right out the wall, mate.”

Dunham would later say, “I don’t think that any famous broadcaster has ever signed off in tears, proclaiming ‘I’m ready, I’m ready'”.

Continue Reading

Sports Radio News

Keyshawn Johnson: ‘I Don’t Like Sunday Night Baseball Putting Mics on Players’

“I’ve got an IFB in my ear and I’m trying to pay attention to the game and I’ve got air traffic control talking to me. There’s no way you can tell me that doesn’t affect you.”

Published

on

Most people seem to really like Sunday Night Baseball adding mics to players in the field this season. Fans and critics alike have commended ESPN for giving fans access that they have never had before. But don’t expect Keyshawn Johnson to join that praise chorus anytime soon.

“I don’t like the interaction with broadcast teams talking to players during the game, in the field,” he said on Monday morning’s edition of Keyshawn, JWill and Max.

The ESPN Radio morning man is convinced that eventually, the in-game conversations are going to cause a costly error.

Freddie Coleman, who was filling in for both Jay Williams and Max Kellerman, played a clip from Sunday night’s game for Johnson. In the clip, listeners could hear the Padres’ newly acquired slugger Juan Soto pleading with a ball hit by Cody Bellinger to stay in the park during the team’s 0-4 shutout loss to the Dodgers.

“I don’t like that as a player,” Johnson said. “I know the fans love it.”

He said that when he sees players mic’d up and answering a question during the game, he is constantly worried about how it will affect what happens on the field. He said he felt some empathy for the fielder on the mic once the ball is put into play, because if it comes that fielder’s way and he is distracted, the instant reaction from the crowd will be to question the player’s effort or ability rather than ask if the distraction is worth it.

Coleman pointed out that there is some very famous video of Keyshawn Johnson during his playing career mic’d up on the sidelines. Johnson defended NFL Films, saying that getting live sound of a game is very different than what Major League Baseball is making players do.

“That’s different than interacting with Karl Ravech and company in the booth. I’ve got an IFB in my ear and I’m trying to pay attention to the game and I’ve got air traffic control talking to me. There’s no way you can tell me that doesn’t affect you.”

The closing months of the regular season as playoff races start to take shape are not the ideal times for networks to be having conversations with guys in the middle of the field. That doesn’t mean it is never good content. Keyshawn Johnson said that as a viewer, he would welcome in-game interviews during Spring Training and the All-Star Game. He just has trouble believing players are happy to participate.

“It’s cool. I’m not mad that it’s being done. I just wouldn’t like it as a player,” he said.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Barrett Media Writers

Copyright © 2021 Barrett Media.