Connect with us

Sports Online

Mets Owner Flees Twitter Amid Death Threats

“After reengaging with Portnoy on Twitter Friday, Cohen deleted his social media account that night.”

Published

on

Steve Cohen’s rise on Twitter was brief. Less than three months after he purchased the Mets, the hedge-fund billionaire deleted his social media account.

If Cohen was going to cancel his Twitter account, I would have predicted a controversy with the Mets as the likely cause, but instead, it happened in the wake of Reddit users rallying their support for GameStop. 

I’m not a financial pundit, so I don’t know if the decision by Cohen’s Point72 Asset Management to bail out Melvin Capital influenced the shady restrictions on people trying to purchase GameStop stock. But Barstool Sports founder Dave Portnoy, who doubles as “Davey Day Trader” suggested jail for Cohen and seemingly led to the end of his Twitter fun. 

“PRISON TIME” Portnoy wrote Thursday, linking Cohen and other hedge-fund billionaires to the tweet. 

And with that, three months after Cohen started engaging with baseball fans on Twitter, the new Mets owner felt he was ready to enter the ring with a social media elite in Portnoy. 

“Hey Dave, What’s your beef with me. I’m just trying to make a living just like you. Happy to take this offline,” Cohen replied.

Portnoy had the gun pointed at Cohen. But the Mets owner kept his responses poised, simple and denied any charges that were thrown at him, causing Dave to back off and even acknowledge appreciation for the exchange. 

Despite the appreciation, Portnoy later said he does not believe Cohen was handless in halting trade on GameStop and other Reddit rallied stocks. And apparently, neither did a lot of Cohen’s Twitter following. After reengaging with Portnoy on Twitter Friday, Cohen deleted his social media account that night. 

Saturday, Cohen released a statement explaining his decision to delete his Twitter account, citing “personal threats.” 

“I’ve really enjoyed the back and forth with Mets fans on Twitter which was unfortunately overtaken this week by misinformation unrelated to the Mets that led to our family getting personal threats,” the statement read. “So I’m going to take a break for now. We have other ways to listen to your suggestions and remain committed to doing that. 

“I love our team, this community, and our fans, who are the best in baseball. Bottom line is that this week’s events in no way affect our resources and drive to put a championship team on the field. #LGM!”

Cohen also drew the ire of WFAN morning host Boomer Esiason, who vowed to never attend another Mets game “until I find out exactly what’s going on here.” Referring to Cohen’s possible connection with swiftly imposed restrictions on trading apps. 

“Hey, I don’t want to hear that from you, you know what I mean?” Esiason said Friday morning. “You hedge-fund billionaire. Just keep your mouth shut.” 

Just another NFL-millionaire calling out a hedge-fund billionaire.

Sports Online

Bomani Jones: ‘Tim Anderson Asked Me To Interview Him’

“I got to comport myself in such a way that dudes I cover respect me, if I want them to talk to me. I have to go the extra mile in terms of earning respect if I want to have these cats listen to me.”

Published

on

Josh Donaldson and Tim Anderson were all over the news last week after the two exchanged words during the Yankees-White Sox series. Over the course of two days, an altercation between the two started a bench-clearing brawl, and then a second altercation occurred when Donaldson called Tim Anderson “Jackie,” a reference to Jackie Robinson.

Bomani Jones was one of the few people in the media to land an on-camera interview with Anderson for his podcast, The Right Time, where they got a chance to discuss what really took place during that moment.

Donaldson’s “Jackie” comment was a reference to a Sports Illustrated article from 2019 in which Anderson referred to himself as being similar to the Dodgers Hall of Famer. Anderson said publicly that it may have been a joke to Donaldson, but it did not feel that way to him.

On Friday’s edition of his show, former NFL player and current ESPN NFL analyst Domonique Foxworth asked Jones how he landed an interview with Anderson. Jones said Anderson was the one pursuing him.

“He sent me a DM and was like yo, I want to talk,” Jones said to Foxworth. “I not gonna lie to y’all, he was hoping to not have to do media availability so we were sitting on it because we wanted it to be the big surprise, we wanted to drop the big joker when all the spades have been played.”

The trust level between an athlete and a reporter is arguably the most important thing for any journalist. Jones said he has had to build that trust in a different way from many in his position.

“I didn’t come up reporting, I wasn’t on the ground. And so I am in a lot of ways the dude sitting in his house popping off at people. I get every criticism that comes with that, so as a result, I got to comport myself in such a way that dudes I cover respect me, if I want them to talk to me. I have to go the extra mile in terms of earning respect if I want to have these cats listen to me. So for me it feels good when something like that happens because it means my goal, at least with that one person has been achieved.”

Continue Reading

Sports Online

John Skipper: ‘Tom Brady is a Very Expensive Trophy for FOX’

“I think for Tom Brady’s pride, he had to be paid the most money because he is the greatest of all-time.”

Published

on

The NFL broadcasting world went through a series of massive changes this offseason. Outside of the No. 1 crew at CBS (Jim Nantz and Tony Romo), every other network will have new faces appear on our television screens during game days.

Out of the large amounts of money being thrown around at various networks in the industry, it was Tom Brady’s massive 10-year,  $375-million broadcasting deal with FOX that turned a lot of heads. Not only does the deal indicate that the seven-time Super Bowl champ will be retiring in the very near future, but some, including Dan Le Batard, wondered why such a fortune was being given to someone who has “never said anything interesting'” during his career in the NFL.

During the “local hour” of his popular show on Thursday, Le Batard welcomed former ESPN president and his Meadowlark Media partner, John Skipper. He expressed a similar.

“There’s very little economic value. He’s a very, very expensive trophy,” Skipper said on The Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz. “I think he’ll probably be okay on the game. It doesn’t really matter that much other than for pride and I guess he’ll shake advertisers’ hands.”

To put into context how massive Brady’s deal is, the future Hall of Famer will not only be making more in 10-years than he has throughout his entire 20+ year NFL career ($302.96 million in total earnings) but he will also be leapfrogging broadcast vet Troy Aikman–getting paid twice the amount of the former Cowboys QBs’ new deal with ESPN.

 “I think for Tom Brady’s pride, he had to be paid the most money because he is the greatest of all-time,” Skipper said.

Skipper continues to add that the money FOX gave Brady could’ve been put to better use, making a more significant impact in other areas of the business, including securing live event rights.

He then brought up Mike Tirico, who called Monday Night Football at ESPN during Skipper’s tenure at the network. No matter how much faith he had in the play-by-play man, Skipper said he didn’t feel the need to overspend on a partner to help him shine.

“I put Mike Tirico in the booth and thought he did an outstanding job, but I would not have paid any ex-player $15, $20, or $25 million to sit next to him.”

Continue Reading

Sports Online

North Carolina Lawmakers Expect Mobile Sports Betting By Football Season

“North Carolina’s neighbors, including Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia, have already legalized mobile sports betting.”

Published

on

It is already legal to place bets in North Carolina on sporting events. It is just incredibly difficult. Bets can only be made inside of 2 Cherokee casinos in the western part of the state. That could change before football season.

The State Senate, which is politically divided, passed SB 688 last year. If it makes it through the State House, it would become law and North Carolinians could then theoretically place bets online legally.

SB 88 was sponsored by Paul Lowe, a Democrat from Forsyth County. He told WRAL-TV in Raleigh that he is optimistic about what will happen in the House.

“We just want to make sure we have drummed up the votes, and I think we have,” he said. “I feel confident about it.”

North Carolina’s neighbors, including Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia, have already legalized mobile sports betting.

Politically, North Carolina is considered a purple state. That is showing up in the effort to legalize mobile wagering. One of the bill’s biggest advocates in the House is Jason Saine, a Republican from Lincoln County.

“We’re ready to rock ‘n’ roll. I’ve not heard any new opposition,” he told WRAL. “I think we have a pretty smooth glide path once we do kind of start rolling into session.”

The state’s Lottery Commission would oversee sports gambling. If the SB 688 is passed, operators would pay $500,000 for a five-year license, which can be renewed for $100,000. They would also pay an 8% tax on adjusted gross revenue. Both of those numbers are low compared to other states.

“Once we pass this bill, there’s some tweaks we’re going to do,” Lowe said. “But right now we’re just trying to get it out of the chute.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2021 Barrett Media.