Sharri Berg, Fox Weather president and COO of news and operations at Fox Television Stations, and Judy Parnall, head of standards and industry, BBC will be the recipients of TVNewsCheck’s 12th annual Women in Technology Leadership Awards.
Berg and Parnall will receive the award during the NAB Show on Tuesday, April 26, at 6 p.m. in the Las Vegas Convention Center.
“For 30 years, Sharri has been a remarkable leader at Fox, laying the foundations for its technology and bringing teams together across the station group,” TVNewsCheck Publisher and Co-Founder Kathy Haley of Berg said.
“That work culminated in last year’s launch of Fox Weather, the embodiment of a 21st-century television channel that redefines what a ‘channel’ itself is — digital in its DNA, streaming and linear in its distribution, deeply granular in how it iterates weather information to the viewer. It could not have been built without Sharri’s driving leadership.”
Furthermore, the two women will also join this year’s other Women in Technology honorees in a webinar on April 13 at 1 p.m. ET discussing the industry’s technology future and the challenges extending out before it.
“The distinguished career Judy built heading media innovation at the BBC’s highly respected R&D unit established her as a technology futurist and leader,” Haley said of Parnall. “Her election to the chairmanship of the EBU Technical Committee, where she is leading development of the work plan and establishing the strategic programs and interest communities driving media technology development, has expanded her influence to 56 countries, more than 1,200 radio and TV stations, and more than 500 digital services.
“Both Sharri and Judy serve as role models to women, all over the world, who aspire to the highest levels of technology management,” Haley said.
This is the list of previous Women in Technology Leadership Award honorees:
- Marcy Lefkovitz, VP, technology and workflow strategy, The Walt Disney Co.
- Barbara Lange, former executive director of SMPTE
- Lisa Pedrogo, VP of engineering and strategic initiatives, WarnerMedia
- Tish Graham, former VP of broadcast technology at ABC Owned Television Stations
- Diane Tryneski, now board member and advisor to several digital technology companies
- Glodina Connan-Lostanlen, now chief sales officer, Imagine Communications
- Michelle Munson, now founder, Eluvio
- Renu Thomas, then EVP of media operations, technology, and IT at Disney ABC Television Group
- Darcy Antonellis, now executive advisor, Amdocs
- Wendy Aylsworth, now CEO, Walden Pond
- Cindy Hutter-Cavell, senior engineer and practice manager, Cavell Mertz & Associates
- Andrea Berry, now EVP operations & technology, Telemundo Enterprises, and LATAM
Lulu Garcia-Navarro to Host Opinion Podcast for NY Times
“When a lot of us hear the word “opinion” we think of hot takes — points of view in reaction to the news. But what about the experiences that shape our opinions?” The Times said in a press release.
The New York Times will have a new opinion podcast coming out soon called “First Person.” The company announced that Peabody Award-winning journalist Lulu Garcia-Navarro will host this new show beginning June 9th.
“That’s the question we’re exploring in “First Person,” a new podcast from New York Times Opinion with Lulu Garcia-Navarro. In each episode, Lulu sits down with people living through the headlines for intimate and surprising conversations that help us make sense of our complicated world.”
Garcia-Navarro will bring plenty of experience to her new podcast as a two-time Peabody Award-winning journalist with years of interviewing world leaders, authors, artists, and people living on the front lines of a changing world.
“This show is a new way of understanding where people’s opinions come from. It’s urgent and intimate and takes someone who is living through something incredible and asks them how they came to believe what they believe,” Garcia-Navarro said per Radio Ink.
Twitter Will Not Renegotiate Original Offer with Elon Musk
Twitter doesn’t plan on backing down from the agreement even as Musk attempts to cast doubt about the number of fake accounts on the platform.
Twitter is playing hardball with Elon Musk, who initially agreed to buy the social media platform for $44-billion. During a town hall meeting, executives of the company told staffers they would not renegotiate the price of his takeover agreement, per The Daily Beast.
Furthermore, Twitter doesn’t plan on backing down from the agreement even as Musk attempts to cast doubt about the number of fake accounts on the platform.
Nonetheless, earlier this week, the company stated that they had plans to “close the transaction and enforce the merger agreement” between the Telsa CEO and the social media giant.
The terms of the buyout contract will make it hard for him to evade the deal with Twitter. It contains a $1 billion breakup fee, and the company could sue to compel Musk to follow through on the transaction.
Last week, the entrepreneur tweeted that he was placing the deal on hold until Twitter could verify that spam and fake accounts do not comprise more than 5 percent of its users.
Musk stated that he was dedicated to purchasing the company and indicated that he was open to a deal at a lower price.
Donald Trump Accuses Google of Trying to Ruin TRUTH Social
Truth Social was developed by Trump Media and Technology Group (TMTG) and is headed by former congressman Devin Nunes.
Former President Donald Trump is not happy with Google. According to Rolling Stone, Trump believes that the tech giant is trying to ruin his new social media platform, TRUTH Social. The platform is currently not available to Android users which have drawn the ire of Trump.
“One person whom the outlet did not identify claimed to have discussed TRUTH Social’s unavailability for Android users with Trump,” the magazine wrote. “The person said he has also asked questions such as, “What’s up with Google?” and, “[is Google trying to] screw with me?”
Trump reportedly believes that Google and YouTube are out to get him. “This has left Trump with questions about the status of the product and whether his perceived enemies at Google had any plans to reject it,” the report said.
“Is Google trying to f**k me?” Trump asked.
Big Tech banned Trump from Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat following the Jan. 6 riots.